FM Approved Fire Protection
AMI’s welding fabrics have been tested and rated to the ANSI/FM 4950 Standard that now is required by the NFPA 51B 2019 Standard. The rating system makes it easy to determine which of the three levels of fire protection – welding curtains, welding blankets, or welding pads – is needed for a specific hot work operation.
Why FM Approved Fabrics for Welding Safety?
- Welding fabrics that carry the FM Approval label go through rigorous performance-based testing that replicates real-world hot work situations.
- Using temperature resistance as the only performance criteria alone is risky.
- Selection of hot work fabrics should match the application, such as for outdoor use, not for enclosed spaces, for vertical or horizontal use, grinding vs. molten materials, etc.
- Auditing by third-party certifiers reduces the risk throughout the entire supply chain: end-user, contractor, distributor, and manufacturer.
AMI Leaves No Room for Doubt
Today’s military, U.S. Government, industry and NRC standards all call for certified FM Approved welding curtains, blankets and pads to be used in their facilities. AMI prominently labels their products down to the core—meaning you will find the FM Approved label on the outside packaging, printed along with the performance category on the product and on the inner cardboard core of every welding fabric. View our Certified to the Core labeling.
- Watch a brief video presentation on the FM Approved requirements to meet NFPA 51B
- See all of our FM Approved Products-At-A-Glance along with their category and performance ratings
- More information about the application rating key (good, better, best)
- Online guidance on how to choose the right product for your application
All 11 results for "FM Approved Fire Protection"
AMI-GUARD® Fire Quilt™
Quilted hot work curtain, blanket or pad.
Quilted composite with a fiberglass mat between two layers of fiberglass that has been coated with a specially formulated black silicone compound
AMI-GUARD® Fabricated Welding Curtains
Many of these fabrics are available as curtains, pads or blankets with or without grommets, custom sewn to fit your specific needs, or in standard sizes. Grommets are placed 18″ on center on all four sides. Standard thread is PTFE-coated fiberglass. Standard Sizes Available:
3′ x 3′, 6′ x 6′, 6′ x 8′, 10′ x 10′
AMI-TUF® PLUS (SGLP) Cloth
Fiberglass cloth with a silicone rubber coating compounded with proprietary mineral pigments
Rated to 500°F (260°C)
VEXTRA® (GLV-TP) Cloth
Fiberglass fabric coated with vermiculite
Rated at 1000°F and remains stable to 1500°F.
VEXTRA® (SGLV) Cloth
Heavy duty, heavy weight fiberglass treated with vermiculite and coated on one side with a silicone rubber compound.
Rated to 500°F (260°C).
CARBO-GLAS® (PGL) Cloth
Advanced carbon fiberglass composite
Rated to 500°F (260°C).
AMI-TUF® (SGL) Cloth
Silicone coated fiberglass cloth.
Good for outdoor use
Continuous operating temperature 500° F (260ºC)
SGL1700 meets the requirements of ASTM C1695-09
SGL1700 and SGL3200 meets NFPA 701-1999.
GOLDENGLAS® (GLN) Cloth
100% fiberglass cloth coated with a tough, neoprene rubber
Rated to 225°F (107°C).
AMI-GLAS® (GL) Cloth
Ideal for vertical spark protection typically found in light welding applications.
Rated to 1000°F (540°C).
All uncoated fiberglass yarns meet USCG 164.009 “Test for Incombustibility”
GL2025-9383 meets the requirements of ASTM C1695-09 and MIL C 20079H Type 1 Class 9
AMI-SIL® (SAS) Cloth
96% silica (minimum) cloth with a cured silicone rubber on one side
Rated to 1800°F (980°C)
AMI-SIL® (CAS) (AS) Cloth
Minimum 96% pure amorphous silica cloth
Rated to 1800°F (980°C).
AS1800G & AS3600 meet USCG164.009 as part of MIL-C-24576SH and meet NFPA 701/1999 Method 2.
AS3600 and CAS4000 are rated as a PAD, all other are CURTAINS