To make it easier to choose the right FM Approved fabric for a specific hot work operation, AMI has rated the fabrics as GOOD, BETTER and BEST. The rating determines the level of protection offered by the fabrics.
On a scale of 1-10:
- Fabrics with a rating of 1-3 are rated “GOOD”
- Fabrics with a rating of 4-6 are rated “BETTER”
- Fabrics with a rating of 7-10 are rated “BEST”
The ratings take into account a number of factors such as durability, weatherization and thermal performance. Rating determination is based on distance from hot work, amount of mechanical abuse, level of exposure to sparks and slag, location of the fabric, moisture concerns, elements such as wind and UV if application is outdoors, how much of the fabric will be exposed, and is workspace open or confined.
Fabrics rated as “GOOD” fall under the FM Approved category of “Welding Curtains” — intended for use in vertical applications with light to moderate exposures to sparks and heat.
Fabrics rated as “BETTER” fall under the FM Approved category of “Welding Curtains” — intended for use in VERTICAL applications with light to moderate exposures to sparks and heat.
Fabrics rated as ”BEST” fall under the FM Approved categories of “Welding Pads” and “Welding Blankets”. Welding Blankets are intended for HORIZONTAL applications with light to moderate exposures to sparks, heat and molten metal slag. Welding Pads are intended for use in HORIZONTAL applications with severe exposures to molten substances or heavy horizontal welding.
- FM Approved welding pads can be used as Approved welding blankets and Approved welding curtains. FM Approved welding blankets can be used as Approved welding curtains.
- More information about FM Approvals and the performance categories (blankets, pads and curtains).
- Detailed guidance on how to choose the right product for your application.
- Guidelines on sewing AMI fabrics.